Search This Blog

9/03/2013

Rags to Riches

Was just thinking about how a lot of my friends and some loved ones are struggling financially. This is not the easiest time for everyone. Unemployment being higher than any other time besides the great depression.
My own family has gone through some serious setbacks in the last few years. Having to settle for making less than we did 15 years ago to work our way back up the ladder. 


We are on the hard road... the path of most resistance.
 



Trying to get food on the table and keep the checking account in black every week. It isn't easy. I know that a lot of people are in the same leaky boat as we are.
I was thinking about how in the 80's and 90's how popular the 'Rags to Riches' movies were. Somehow the story of the orphan girl, or the down on his luck guy, suddenly getting filthy rich and their life is changed forever. Sounds good to anyone struggling along. 


I was pondering, I don't know anyone in my life who that has happened too. Most of the time the way to riches or, richer than you are, is one way - Working for it, day in day out and hard! 


It means shopping at discount stores and saving your money. It means sacrificing when you don't want to. It means eating in, fix it yourself and make your own fun.
My husband is back in school and that is a challenge. Working a lot of hours to keep the bills paid and still having time to study and be a dad and husband. For me it is writing my novels and doing computer work for clients from home, while still homeschooling and keeping the house going while my health
s-l-o-w-l-y recovers from it's many problems. 


I realized through all this hard work to be happier with less. To take joy in my family and friends. To think less about the 'I wants' because it doesn't do me any favors. I am purely settled into the 'I need' category.
 


No money falling from the sky has been in my forecast, unless God does some kind of miracle. You will find us doing what we do, head down, working toward our goals. It isn't going to be on any movie poster, but it is real, and I am proud of my family. We aren't perfect or even close. But we are blessed with a happy family. With or without all the bells and whistles.

~ Leah Banicki

No comments: